If you are ready to move in the South Central Kansas area, this handy moving checklist will help make your move as smooth as possible. Just follow the checklist below step-by-step! Also, feel free to contact us if you need help selling your current home—we are here to help!
Two Months Before Move
- Get moving quotes if you are planning on using a professional mover.
- If you need a rental truck for a "do-it-yourself-move," contact a rental company.
- Visually prepare or design a floor plan for your furniture in your new home.
- Create a list for inventory of your belongings. This is helpful in preparing a garage or moving sale.
- Keep all of your paperwork concerning the move in one file, so nothing is lost or misplaced.
- Transfer all school records for your children.
- Finalize your decision on a mover.
- If time permits, prepare your new home for arrival.
- Consider your children in the move. Plan ahead and learn more with our moving with kids guide.
One Month Before Move
- Change your address.
- Change you address with the IRS.
- Make any travel arrangements where you will need an airline, train, hotel, bus or car rental.
- Research the area into which you will be moving for clubs, civic organizations and churches, so that you can change your membership.
- Contact medical and dental offices to receive records, asking these professionals for referrals and continuing prescriptions.
- If necessary, establish a new checking account.
- Research local laws about home-based businesses and business licenses if you own or operate your own business.
- Arrange for your pets to be transported.
- Use up or finish and discard household items so that there is less to pack and move.
Two Weeks Before Move
- Forward your magazines and newspapers to your new address.
- Contact all of your utilities and change your service to your new address.
- Organize those helping you on the day of the move.
- Confirm all travel reservations you have made.
- If moving appliances, make sure they are inspected before the move.
- Pack all clean clothing.
- If necessary, close your bank accounts, making sure you have ample cash for the move. The remainder of the funds should be transferred to your new bank.
- Keep important documents and valuables close at hand during the move.
- Prepare for the move of any infant or small children.
- Review your insurance policy for coverage during your move.
- Provide relatives with your travel information.
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator.
Moving Day Has Arrived
- Do a final walk through of the home to make sure all of your belongings have been removed.
- Be sure to take control of all personal items that are valuable or important to you during the move.